Why the University of Queensland?
At a glance
- The University of Queensland (UQ, or Queensland University is a public research university located primarily in Brisbane, the capital city of the Australian state of Queensland. Founded in 1909 by the Queensland parliament, UQ is one of the six sandstone universities, an informal designation of the oldest university in each state.
- The University of Queensland was ranked second nationally by the Australian Research Council in the latest research assessment and equal second in Australia based on the average of four major global university league tables. The University of Queensland is a founding member of edX, Australia’s leading Group of Eight and the research-intensive APRU.
The reasons to choose the University of Queensland
- Teaching and learning excellence: Skilled and motivated teachers are integral to providing positive teaching and learning outcomes for students. UQ has a strong focus on teaching excellence, having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) than any other in the country and attracting the majority of Queensland’s highest academic achievers, as well as top interstate and overseas students. We are committed to excellence in learning experiences and outcomes for our students.
- Student experience: The Student Employability Centre provides students with opportunities, choices, and support that will enable them to achieve their individual aspirations, become leaders in their chosen fields, and positively impact the society in which they live. In addition to flexibility in program choice, students can enjoy a wide range of activities during their studies, including global experiences, participating in conferences and research opportunities, accessing more than 220 clubs and societies, and using a wide range of sporting and cultural facilities.
- Research focus: The UQ Graduate School offers significant support to higher degrees by research (HDR) students through a broad range of scholarships and research travel awards, dedicated office spaces, skills training, and professional development opportunities. We introduced the Career Development Framework – another first nationally – designed to accelerate HDR students’ career development and enhance employability. Evidence indicates that the University’s research excels in both quality and impact.
- Notable alumni: The University’s outstanding 280,000-plus alumni include a Nobel laureate, an Academy Award winner, and leaders in government, law, science, public service and the arts. The University celebrates its alumni as its greatest assets. Their achievements make the University great and, in return, we work hard to strengthen our reputation.
Let’s explore the campus!
Pathways to the University of Queensland
- The university offers associate, bachelor, master, doctoral, and higher doctorate degrees through a college, a graduate school, and six faculties. In addition, UQ incorporates over one hundred research institutes and centres offering research programs, such as the Institute for Molecular Bioscience, Boeing Research and Technology Australia Centre, the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, and the UQ Dow Centre for Sustainable Engineering Innovation.
- Recent notable research of the university includes pioneering the invention of the HPV vaccine that prevents cervical cancer, developing a COVID-19 vaccine in human trials, and developing high-performance superconducting MRI magnets for portable scanning of human limbs.
- Business, Economics & Law
- Engineering, Architecture & Information Technology
- Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
UQ ranks in the top 50 as measured by the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities. The University also ranks 46 in the QS World University Rankings, 42 in the US News Best Global Universities Rankings, 66 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and 54 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- The main St Lucia campus occupies much of the riverside inner suburb of St Lucia, southwest of the Brisbane central business district.
- Other UQ campuses and facilities are located throughout Queensland, the largest of which are the Gatton campus and the Mayne Medical School.
- UQ’s overseas establishments include the UQ North America office in Washington D.C., and the UQ-Ochsner Clinical School in Louisiana, United States.